Sale Season Shopping Tips For Your Workwear Wardrobe

Sale Season Shopping Tips For Your Workwear Wardrobe

I’ve never been much of a sale-season shopper. Not in-store or online because in either scenario, sales are just a bit chaotic and messy. That being said, if it is an expensive piece I’ve been lusting after, chances are I will sacrifice my snobbery for the sake of making a good saving and scoring a dream item for my wardrobe. The Harvey Nichols and Selfridges sales, for example, are so worth visiting. But I always steer clear of Black Friday and Boxing Day.

Here are a few tricks of the trade I’ve learned to make the in-store experience as quick and painless as possible:

_DSC0612

DO:

(1) Wear flats. There will be a LOT of walking and queuing for cash desks and trial rooms.(2) Either carry a small handbag that you can wear diagonsally across you so your hands are free for shopping agsor carry a large handbag with a long handle so

you can put your shopping in it.

(3) Carry an umbrella. The only thing that could make the experience worse would be having to walk around soaked and in wet, squelchy shoes from shop to shop.

(3) Wear a simple black t-shirt. it’ll go with almost everything you try on, from skirts to trousers. You won’t even havy to take it off whilst trying on most dresses.

(4) Carry water or stop for regular coffee, snack and bathroom breaks.

_DSC0680

DON’T:

(1) Bother with skinny jeans. They’re not always easy to get on and off. If you’re mainly looking to buy jeans / trousers, go shopping in a pair of relaxed jeans you can get on and off easily. But if it is dresses and skirts you’re after,a simple shirt dress you can slip on and off with a basic pair of opaque tights will do the trick for most things you try on.

(2) Wear too many layers. The more you have on, the more you risk potentially leaving behind in trial rooms.

(3) Over-accessorize! trinkets often fall /break / get lost in the hustle of trying on clothes.

_DSC0673

GENERAL TIPS:

If the queue to pay is too long in the womenswear section, try paying in the Kids or Menswear Section instead. Sometimes you can even pay at Customer Services and the queue is usually shorter there than at the main womenswear tills. This can sometimes apply to fitting rooms, too.

Happy shopping! Let me know if any of these tips helped you when out and about navigating the sales. And also, share your haul with me on Instagram – I’m @wokewearmcr.

1. December 30, 2010 / 4:16 pm

I love your blog too. Your beautiful and super stylish.

December 30, 2010 / 4:21 pm

Imogen: Awwww! That’s so sweet! Thankyou! You just made my day!

3. December 30, 2010 / 5:28 pm

I love the slightly oversized blazer with this, lady! Very cute!

You’re so right about the flats. The only problem I find with wearing a skirt or dress rather than jeans is that if I try on a top, sometimes I really want to see how it’ll hang when paired with jeans.

I just can’t win! 🙂

4. December 30, 2010 / 6:58 pm

super!! i love it!

lacesocks.blogspot.com

5. December 30, 2010 / 8:17 pm

Love the dress and your bag with the right pop of color. We have sales all round the year in US under some pretext or the other.

I am all for flats.

December 31, 2010 / 5:03 am

Massom: Actually, I decided to wear stockings because (1) You don’t have to slip them on or off. If you’re trying a skirt or shorts, you can just slip them on over and see how they look with them.
    (2) if you’re trying shoes, you can see how your shoes fit with a pair of socks /stockings on cos sometimes when u buy em and bring em home, they’re too tight with stockings.
    (3) I wasn’t looking for jeans yesterday so I figured i could get away with it! 😉

December 31, 2010 / 5:03 am

Sophie: Thankyou! 🙂

Geeta: Thanks so much!

December 31, 2010 / 5:27 am

Playing Hooksies! : Oops! I almost didn’t see your comment! Hmmm…interesting thought about the jeans! I never thought about it that way! Thanks! 🙂

9. December 31, 2010 / 8:33 am

i love the floral dress n shoes..tres chic!! 🙂

December 31, 2010 / 8:48 am

Raey: Thanks so much. That’s so sweet 🙂

11. January 5, 2011 / 4:58 am

My favourite outfit of yours so far. Love the red-green mix up!!!!

January 5, 2011 / 5:03 am

Panorama : Thanks babe! xx

13. December 4, 2011 / 7:36 pm

Unfortunately the sale season in UK is Christmas time when its pretty cold as well. I hate to put on and off that overcoat so many time while trying stuff..Some times does take your mood &energy away..

Anushka Moore is a Manchester-based Digital Content Creator and Stylist at Smart Works Greater Manchester, where she empowers women to dress for success at interviews and jobs.

She is also founder of the widely celebrated Instagram Body Positivity movement, 'Midsize Collective'. Her work with Smart Works and Midsize Collective have been highlighted in publications and media institutions of repute such as The Telegraph, BBC Radio Manchester, WhoWhatWear and ELLE.